22 April 2005

Ironic Rules

Isn't it ironic how what rules are what makes us civilized as humans, but we still throw them away whenever it doesn't interest us?

There are a variety of reasons why humans are higher or more advanced than other species, but one major one is that we have rules. Rules are what make us a society. Most of these rules control how we relate to each other, they're interpersonal rules. We have rules, laws, mores, that govern what is good manners and how to treat other people. Even most of our laws are based on how we are supposed to treat others. Ironically, we often set aside these rules when they go against our personal interests. If we don't think we'll get caught (or if we don't think about it), we do whatever we feel like and to hell with the rest of the world. "I'll steal if there's no cameras or people watching. I'll speed on highways and in the city, even swerve in front of other cars (that's how I think of them, not people) to try to get where I'm going just a minute sooner. I'll lie or act like someone else if it means the girl in the bar will come home with me. And when I'm in a crowd, it's all about me and where I want to get to, not about manners or being kind to the people around me."

It's ironic that we think of ourselves as civilized, but throw out the rules whenever it suits us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home